Saturday, August 6, 2022

110547 Kilometres: Workshop Manual?

 


The Holy Bible

Christians, of whichever variety, want me to believe that this is The Word of God. In the first part, literally "What God Said" to his prophets.  The second part, they tell me, is what actual witnesses saw, and wrote in testimony. 

There are people who will say things like "It's a manual for how to live," or "You can't take it literally, it is more of a moral compass." 

Well, I'm not buying.

There is nothing in there that could convince me to live differently than I do, or to dedicate my life to God. 

I know I'm not perfect, but I behave in a moral, and ethical manner. I sometimes stray slightly, there are times when I drive a little too fast, occasionally I tell someone I'm busy because I don't want to visit with them, but who doesn't sometimes wander away from a paragon of virtue.

I'm not writing this entry to convince anyone of anything, I'm writing it because I heard a discussion on the radio this morning.

The discussion happened because this week saw the Anglican Church hold its Lambeth Conference,  at which Justin Welby, the archbishop of Canterbury (Head of the Anglican Church) declared that: there was no doubt that gay sex is a Sin, which as far as he (and the people who believe him,) are concerned, closes the matter.

Does it though?

Not for me. To be fair, as far as I'm concerned it does not matter how The Church, Christianity in general, or even Religion as a whole feels about this, or any other  subject, because as an atheist (and a Humanist) I don't subscribe to heavenly prohibitions, but what does worry me about pronouncements like this, is that Governments often legislate with a bias toward how religion guides morality.

You will often hear me say "Religion has no place in politics" and since legislation is a governmental responsibility, Religion has no place there either.

Essentially, what I want is a Secular State, where Religion has no bearing at all on Law, because while it does, the law cannot be Just, Fair, and Equitable, which is everything it must be.

Here in the UK, Religion (Specifically, Anglican Christianity) holds far too much of an influence in politics, an example being Bishops appointed to the House of Lords, and this can only mean that at some level we'll be legislated by what can at best be called Tradition, and at worst, Superstition.

So, Mr Welby, you are entitled to your opinion on any subject, but you must not expect me to agree with you, nor can you set down the manner in which I must live. If you expect me to allow you the freedom to follow your God,  you must equally allow me the freedom not to. Likewise, any other religion, value set, or tradition.

Soundtrack: Hymn - Barclay James Harvest

 

No comments:

Post a Comment